Thursday, September 22, 2011

Is it Racist?

Today I wore my Celtics tank top to my first day of classes. I figured it was a harmless way for me to represent my main men.

I had just finished my bullshit Shakespeare class in which the 45+ year old professor kept making sexual innuendos. After she creepily used "that's what she said" more than 5 times, I was ready to see what gem would be teaching my next class...Black Studies 38.

I was already over the day since the Lance Armstrong gods gave me a flat tire. I wondered what else could go wrong. I looked down at my shirt. That's when it hit me.
"Shit. Should I have worn a different shirt?!? Will people just assume I wore my NBA shirt because I had my first black studies class today? Ugh, typical white girls. FML."

Luckily I walked into the room and it hit me.
I go to UCSB. 51% of the people who attend the University of Casual Sex and Beer are white and the African American population is a mere 3%.

Hopefully I wouldn't get judged too harshly. It never hit me that this could all be in my mind.

That statistic was evident as I entered the class. About 2 black people were in my black studies class...maybe even 1. Shit, even the professor was as white as the chalk she insisted to use since she's against using power points and microphones...fucking hippies.

So, instead of having deep intellectual conversations about the NBA and my beloved Celtics like I imagined due to my wardrobe, I listened to my left-wing professor--who wore her hair like Princess Jasmine--bash on members of the tea party...which is apparently very relevant to African American literature from colonial times.

No comments:

Post a Comment